Thursday, September 25, 2008

Ronald Reagan

I was reading about Ronald Reagan on imdb.com and found some great quotes of his. Here are a few.

Recession is when your neighbor loses his job. Depression is when you lose yours. Recovery is when Jimmy Carter loses his.

[to his doctors prior to going in the surgery room after being shot]: I hope all of you are Republicans.

I know what it's like to pull the Republican lever for the first time, because I used to be a Democrat myself, and I can tell you it only hurts for a minute and then it feels just great.

America is too great to dream small dreams.

Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards; if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book.

Fascism was really the basis for the New Deal.

I have left orders to be awakened at any time in case of national emergency - even if I'm in a Cabinet meeting.

[During a microphone check on August 11 1984, unaware that he was being broadcast]: My fellow Americans. I'm pleased to announce that I've signed legislation outlawing the Soviet Union. We begin bombing in five minutes. (rumor has it he WAS aware, just pretending not to be)

Trees cause more pollution than automobiles.

Approximately 80% of our air pollution stems from hydrocarbons released by vegetation, so let's not go overboard in setting and enforcing tough emission standards.

Abortion is advocated only by persons who have themselves been born.

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so much that isn't so.

Freedom and Security go together.

Whatever else history may say about me when I'm gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty's lamp guiding your steps and opportunity's arm steadying your way. [Speech at the Republican National Convention, Aug. 17, 1992.]



I'm trying to come to terms that the 2008 election is a lost cause and that we are doomed for Obama bin Biden for the next four years. As my dad often says, "Jimmy Carter brought us Ronald Reagan" so maybe there is hope. Real hope with substance, not empty-suit Obama hope.

The downside is that many people think Bush's presidency is like Carter's and Obama will be the Reagan of our time. One key difference-- Reagan went away from the radical left view and changed from Democrat to Republican. Obama represents the opposite-- Democrat into Communism.

No comments: